Medical Marijuana For Autoimmune Diseases
There are over 100 autoimmune diseases and affect over two million Canadians. Normally, our immune system will fight against attacks from things like bad bacteria, germs, the flu, etc. because it can tell a difference between what should or shouldn’t be there. With autoimmune diseases, your immune system is mistaking parts of your body or cells as the bad guys and ultimately attacks itself. This can make you more susceptible to infections.
What Are Examples Of Autoimmune Diseases?
The most common autoimmune diseases affecting Canadians are:
- 90% of people suffering from lupus are female between 15 and 40 and are sensitive to sunlight. It can affect joints, skin, lungs, heart, kidneys, joints, and the brain.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Immune system is attacking tissue around joints. It can cause permanent damage.
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Affects people aged 15 to 40 (most common in women in Canada) when the immune system attacks the nervous system. It can affect mobility, speech, memory, and more.
- Crohn’s Disease
- Affects people aged 15 to 35 when there’s inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract. Abdominal pain and weight loss are very common.
- Sjögren’s Syndrome
- Affects glands that create tears and saliva and may occur with another immune disease such as the others listed. Eye drops are often needed to control discomfort.
Other autoimmune diseases people all over the world suffer from include:
- Celiac disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- And many more
Will Medical Marijuana Relieve My Autoimmune Disease Symptoms?
Medical marijuana has the ability to help reduce inflammation and regulate the immune system. People with psoriasis for example have keratinocytes that aren’t doing their job properly. Keratinocytes are found in the immune system and prevent toxins from entering our body. They also keep moisture in the body which is why, if they aren’t doing their job, psoriasis sufferers have very dry, flaky, inflamed, painful skin. Medical marijuana can send signals to your cells to reduce inflammation, and even slow cell growth (as people with psoriasis may produce skin cells too quickly), and reduce itching and discomfort.
Canada Wide Consultations
How Can Marijuana Help With My Asthma?
People with asthma can also reap from the benefits of medical marijuana. When you have asthma, your immune system is being triggered by an over-reaction. But since medical marijuana can help reduce symptoms and inflammation in your immune system, it could help you breathe better.
Using Marijuana for Autoimmune Diseases
You may be tired of trying different prescription drugs that have little, or no effect, but are curious as to if medical marijuana can help. Unfortunately, there is no cure for Crohn’s disease, lupus, or rheumatoid arthritis, but there are ways to control the pain and improve quality of life. Medical marijuana acts as an anti-inflammatory which is the main cause of discomfort in the diseases listed above. It can also work as a relaxant, which will ease your pain while improving your sleep cycle.